|Manufacturer & Exporter of Cables, Wires & PVC
Due to quick revolunary growth in various industries in India, people have
started migrating in industrial cities/towns as a result, cities get thickly
populated, and even narrow streets are getting congested.
The only solutions to distribute power in such areas, the system called ABC
have been now widely adopted all over the world, specially in thickly
populated areas and Narrow Street. In the ABC system, the insulated
aluminium conductors (3 or 4) in numbers, as required on formation can be
used in phase conductor as per the specific requirement of site - solution,
which twisted around high strength aluminum alloy /ACSR bare/insulated wire,
which carries the main weight and also serve as earth cum neutral wire even
streetlight phase can be combines in such formation: As such phase and
street light conductors are not under tension:
The system is very safe and more or less maintenance free and faults are
practically eliminated. More over more power connections can be given from
one ABC. Cost of poles, hardware for overhead conductors & construction
cost can be reduced, and way-leave-clearance problems can be eliminated due
to ABC system, Even theft problem of electric power can be minimized by use
of ABC system. As such it also increase the life of precious equipment like
transformer and other allied equipments. Problem of clearance in narrow
streets also gets minimized. M/s Kalinga Wires & Cables has a
infrastructure facility for manufacturing of all type of ABC for coping up
any requirement of customers. In this manual we have tried to cover all
salient technical features of ABC, which will enhance and encourage
implementation of ABC system in distribution network from safety point of
Kalinga Wires & Cables
Bunch Cables For Lt Lines
In the ABC system, the insulated conductors (3 or 4 numbers as required)
are twisted around a high strength Aluminium Alloy bare wire, which carries
the main weight and also serves as the earth -cum- neutral wire. The bare
wire (messenger) may be bare or insulated. The phase conductors are not
under tension. The system is very safe and LT faults are practically
eliminated consequently, interruptions of supply are minimized and the life
of transformers is considerably increased, as these are not subjected to
frequent fault as happens with the bear conductors. The problem of tree
clearance is also minimized.
ABC Cable constructions is generally and popularly convenient for catering
LT power to more number of consumers without any to clumsier requirement of
hardware and as such voltage problems are also reduced to notable extent.
The phase and street lighting conductors shall be insulated with black
weather resistant polyethylene/XLPE suitable for 1100-volt insulation. Cross
Linked Polyethylene (XLPE) insulation with colour requirement is also opted
by many countries. Due to elimination of insulators and associated
hardwares, ABC system is more convenient as compared to overhead LT lines
system as conventional electrical requirement of feeding power to LT
consumer is fulfilled in better way.
The Phase & Street lightening Conductors shall be insulated with Black
weather resistant XLPE Insulation 1100V grade. The insulated phase
conductors (with additional street lighting conductor, if provided) shall be
twisted around the bare aluminium alloy messenger wire, which shall take all
the mechanical stress. The messenger wire shall also serve as the earth -cum
Advantage (Abc System)
- All L.T. line faults are practically eliminated, maintaining
- Tripping of Transformers decreases considerably since the line hardly
subjected to faults.
- A problem of Tree clearance is totally avoided due to reduction in
- Insulators are completely eliminated from the insulation of ABC
- The initial cost of laying the line is more or less same as
- The Theft of power possibility is reduced substantially since
unauthorized tapping of power cannot be done without removing the
- In remote areas, it is possible to maintain continued power supply
- High capacitance and low inductance leading to low impendence of
- Lower Voltage Drop, Higher Current capacities, vis-à-vis
better system stability.
- It can be over hung in dense vegetation and forests.
- Additional connections can be easily and quickly made with hot-line
- Total lines are reduced and maintenance is very easy. More or less
- Multiple circuits of power and telephone cables could be strung in
the same set of poles.
- This specification covers the requirements of polyethylene/cross
linked polyethylene insulated cables with aluminium conductors twisted
over a central bare / insulated aluminium alloy messenger wire for use
as overhead distribution feeders.
- The cables covered in this standard are suitable for use on
three-phase ac (earthed or unearthed) system for rated voltage upto and
Note:- The cables confirming to his standard may be operated
continuously at a power frequency voltage to percent higher than the
- The cables covered in this standard are suitable for use where the
combination of ambient temperature and temperature rise due to load,
including temperature on exposure to direct sunlight results in
conductor temperature not exceeding the following.
2. Aplicable Standards
|Type of insulation
||Normal Continuous Operation
||Short Circuit Operation
|Cross linked Polyethylene
The rated voltage of the cable shall be 1100volts. Unless otherwise
stipulated in this specification, the following standards applicable.
- IS : 1596 1984: Polyethylene insulated cable 1100 volts.
- IS : 8130-1984: Conductors fro insulated cables.
- IS : 6474-1984: Polyethylene insulation of cables.
- IS : 398 -1994: (Part IV) Aluminium alloy conductor.
- IS : 398 1996: (Part III) For ACSR conductor.
- IS : 14255 1995: Arial Bunched Cable Specification
- IS : 7098 (Pt-I) 1988 with latest amendment.
For the purpose of this standard the following definition to those given in
IS 1885 (Part 32) : 1993 shall apply.
3.1 Routine Tests
Test made by the manufacturers on all finished cable lengths to Demonstrate
the integrity of the cables.
3.2 Type Tests
Tests required to be made before supply on a general commercial basis on a
type of cable in order to demonstrate satisfactory performance
characteristics to meet the intended application.
Note : These tests are of such a nature that after they have been made,
they need not be repeated unless changes are made in the cable materials of
design, which might change the performance characteristics.
3.3 Acceptance Tests
Test carried our on samples taken from a lot for the purpose of acceptance
of the lot.
3.4 Optional Tests
Special test to be carried out, when required by agreement between the
Purchaser and the supplier.
3.5 Earthed System
All electric system, which fulfills any of the following conditions :
3.6 Unearthed System
- The neutral point or mid point connection is earthed in such a manner
that even fault conditions, the maximum voltage that can between any
conductor and earth docs not exceed 80 percent of nominal system voltage
- The neutral point or mid point connection is not earthed but a
protective device is installed which automatically cuts our part of the
system which accidentally becomes earthed
- In case of ac system only, the neutral point is earthed through an
ARC suppression coil with arrangement for isolation within 1 hour of
occurrence of the fault provided that total of such periods in a year
does not exceed 125 hours.
An electric system which does not fulfill the requirements of earthed (see
3.5(a), (b), (c).
- The power/outer insulated neutral/ street lighting conductors shall
conform to flexibility Class 2 of IS 8130 :1984.
- The messenger (Neutral conductor) or otherwise shall be either
stranded circular or compacted circular type and shall have minimum 7
strands. The surface of the conductor shall be smooth.
- 4.3 A protective barrier may be applied between the conductor and
insulation, if required. Such barrier, when used, shall be compatible
with insulating material and suitable for the operating temperature of
- 4.4 The size of street lighting conductor shall be (16mm2).
- 4.5 The size of messenger conductor and its breaking load shall be as
per Table 1.
Table 1 Size And Requirement Of Messenger Conductor
||Nominal Cross Sectional Area of Phase
|Nominal Cross Sectional Area
||Maximum D.C Resistance at 200C
||Minimum Breaking Load
4.7 Core Indentification
- There shall be no joints in any wire of the messenger conductor
except those made in the Base rod or wires before final drawing. The
direction of outer layer of wires in messenger conductors shall be right
The phase conductors shall be provided with one, two or three 'ridges' and
outer neutral insulated conductor, if provided, shall have four'ridges' as
shown in Fig. I for quick identification. The street lighting conductor and
messenger conductor (if insulated) shall not have any identification mark.
Identification by other means, as agreed between the supplier and purchaser,
is also permissible.
4.8 Assemby (Laying Up)
Three insulated phase conductors, one insulated neutral conductor (if
required) and a street lighting conductor (if required) shall be twisted
around the bare (or insulated) as required messenger conductor without
fillers with a lay not exceeding 35 times the diameter of the diameter of
the insulated phase conductor. The direction of lay shall be right hand.
Conductor & Neutral Conductor
4.9 Phase/Street Lighting Conductor
The conductor shall be of H2 or H4 grade aluminium complying with the
Requirements of IS 8130 : 1984
- The phase conductor and street lighting conductors shall be insulated
with black weather Resistant cross linked polyethylene suitable for
1100V grade. The insulated Conductors shall generally confirm to the
standards, applicable standards.
- The phase conductors shall be suitable compacted and the outer
diameter shall be within The limits specified.
- The phase conductors shall be provided with one, two and three
'ridges' for quick Indentification.
- The tensile strength of aluminium wire used in the conductors shall
not be less the 90N/mm2.
- The standard sizes and technical characteristics of the phase and
street lighting conductors Shall be as shown in the following table.
|Nominal sectional area (mm2)
||No. of strands
||Max. D.C. resistance at 200C
||Insulation Thickness (mm)
Note: - The resistance value given in Col. 3 are the max, permissible.
4.10 Messenger (Neutral Conductor or Otherwise)
The conductor shall be heat- treated aluminium magnesium-silicon alloy
wires containing approximate 0.5% magnesium and approximately 0.5% silicon
conforming to IS 398 (Part-4): 1979.
- The bare messenger wire shall be generally made of aluminium alloy
wire /ACSR confirming to IS to IS: 398 (Part IV) 1994 with latest
amendment composed of 7 strands and shall be suitably competed to have
smooth surface to avoid damage to the XLPE insulation of the phase
conductors twisted around the messenger.
- There shall be no joints in any wire of the stranded messenger
conductor except those made in the base rod or wires before final
drawing. The number of the insulated Phase conductor in an ABC cable
will vary depending on the Specifications and requirement of
customer.Whereas, the ABC Cable with a single insulated conductor is
called Duplex, the one with two insulated Conductor is called Triplex,
and the one with three insulated Conductors is called Quadruple. In
addition to this, a street lighting or an emergency service conductor
may also be provided public amenities such as street lighting.